November 8, 2020
Gratitude is such a simple word when my feelings are so profound. I am grateful for all of the people who make Advocates a special place:
- Staff who go above and beyond, every single day, to care for the individuals we support
- Wonderful neighbors who welcome people we support into the community
- Friends, funders, and partners who help make what we do possible
- Families who trust us to care for their loved ones
- Employers who help individuals gain job skills that improve independence
You are all committed to giving the individuals we support the best life imaginable. The life they deserve. You support them in the community, encourage their independence, and celebrate their successes. I am proud to be a part of this. And I am grateful to work with you.
Although this report celebrates 2019, we have experienced incredible challenges in 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic is having a deep impact on our communities. Social isolation is contributing to depression, anxiety, and substance use. Families are struggling with caring for family members who are ill—and mourning those they have lost. Working parents have the challenge of balancing the demands of their jobs while trying to educate their children at home; others are experiencing loss of employment. These challenges will be with us for the coming months. It will be a difficult fall and winter.
But we will get through this. We always do. And we will be stronger after it passes. Thank you for your commitment to creating a stronger community.